What is NY Gives Day?
NY Gives Day is a 24-hour online challenge to celebrate nonprofits across the state of New York. Nonprofits from across the Empire State will work together to raise awareness, collect donations, and build a stronger sense of philanthropy throughout their local communities.
Occurring this year on November 27, NY Gives Day and Giving Tuesday are held annually on the Tuesday after Thanksgiving (in the US) and the widely recognized shopping events Black Friday and Cyber Monday to kick off the holiday giving season and inspire people to collaborate in improving their local communities and to give back in impactful ways to the charities and causes they support.
United Way of the Valley and Greater Utica Area has joined NY Gives Day to encourage philanthropy and celebrate the generosity of our community. We're counting down the days! We need your help to make our campaign a success, and we’ve included a few easy ways that you can support us.
- Make a contribution. When you support United Way financially, you can trust that your gift is fueling the engine of meaningful, measurable and lasting change in Oneida and Herkimer counties.
- NY Gives Day Volunteer Project. Our volunteer component is not possible without you. Volunteerism is a powerful way to show your support and make a difference. This year we are partnering up with Mohawk Valley Community College and Meals of Hope to package 50,000 meals for those in need within Oneida and Herkimer counties. To register for this event, please click here: I want to Volunteer on Giving Tuesday | #NYGivesDay
To learn more about other volunteer opportunities, contact Jordan Davies at 315-733-4691, ext. 226, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Be socially (media) active. Use your social media networks: post on Facebook, tweet about NY Gives Day, and share your love. Tag @UnitedWayVGU on Facebook and Instagram, and @UnitedWayUtica on Twitter. Ask others to do the same.
- Post photos of good deeds. Do a good deed for someone or some organization, post a selfie on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. Be sure to tag United Way of the Valley & Greater Utica Area and include #NYGivesDay and #GivingTuesday. Tagging UWVGU will help create a visual collection of local good deeds.
- Become a fundraising champion. Everyone loves a champion, including us! We really need fundraising champions to help drive people to our NY Gives Day page on November 27. Contact us for more information!
Questions? If you have any questions or would like more information, let us know. Thank you in advance for your generosity to our organization and community!